• Contact us
  • Japanese

1912

Takashimaya Kyoto-ten

This is probably the first genuine reinforced concrete commercial building to have ever been constructed in Japan. Construction was completed in 1912. After the Second World War the building was sold for use as the head office of the Bank of Kyoto. The building continued to be used by the bank for business until 1965, when it was demolished in order to construct a new head office building. Thus, it no longer exists.
The exterior appearance retained a conventional storehouse style, in consideration of the character of the Kyoto area, and as a drapery store.